The Bucket List
A bucket list is a list of things someone wants to do before they die a.k.a. before they ‘kick the bucket’.
Life can pass by so quickly and before we know it, we’re old and full of regrets. It’s so easy to get swallowed by the treadmill of life where you work, eat, sleep, pay bills and do it all over again the next day. It’s so easy to forget there is something outside that world of responsibilities and have to’s. I’ve learnt that in this busy society, you have to make the time. Take a moment and look around you. Remember to breathe and energize yourself. It may not be possible every time, but maybe that one time?
I’m sure many people have something they really want to do before it’s too late. Something to have in the back of their minds as a reward for all the hard work. For me personally, a bucket list is a reminder to take the time to live and to make an effort to making my dreams come true. I won’t state that I must have done everything before I kick the bucket. I merely want to give a voice to the things I would love to see and do. And let me tell you, when you do something you’ve always wanted to do, the feeling is AMAZING! Ticking an item off my bucket list is invigorating!
My bucket list is not a static list. Some things have been on my list forever and I’m nowhere closer to making an attempt to making it happen. Other things are more spontaneous or more realistic.
My bucket list, in no particular order and far from complete
- Multiple day horse trek. My oldest bucket list item
- See Statue of Liberty, USA
- See Mount Rushmore, USA
- Visit Monument Valley, USA
- Visit Yellowstone N.P., USA
- Water ski
- Dog sledding/mushing trip
- Countries/areas I want to visit: Norway, Iceland, Finland, Mongolia, Ireland, Alaska, Hawaii, Scotland
- Cities I want to visit: San Francisco, NYC, Plymouth
- See the Akropolis, Sparta (or thereabouts) and Delphi in Greece
- See whales. Not orcas, I mean the big biiig whales
- Learn a foreign language like Swedish
I’ve also fulfilled some of my bucket list items. Woohoo!
- Horse riding – 1990-1995
- Horse riding on the beach. – 1993 (Hated it, scary shit, lol)
- Diving – 1993 (I did a test dive in a swimming pool and…never again!)
- Wall climbing – 1998 (High school. I was bad, but I did it!)
- Skydiving – 2003 (Byron Bay) & 2005 (Taupo)
- Bungy jumping – 2005 (Queenstown)
- Swimming with dolphins – 2005 (Akaroa)
- Multiple day hiking trek – 2012 (Routeburn Track)
- Study at university – 2005-2009
- Multiple day sailing trip – 2003 (Whitsundays)
- Go to Australia – 2002, 2005, 2011
- Celebrate NYE in Sydney – 2011/2012
- See the Brandenburger Tor, Berlin – 2008 (Don’t ask me why)
- See orcas – 2012 (Vancouver)
- See a bald eagle – 2012 (Vancouver)
- Sleep under the stars – 2003 (Western Australia)
Do you have a bucket list? What is on it? What things on your bucket list have you done already?